Once I found a tutorial on how to make paper from vegetables, but I don’t find back the tutorial (it was at ARD-Buffet, but it seems to be too long ago).
On the photo you see a card made with cucumber paper for a friend for the end of fast.
How to make cucumber paper:
- Cut the cucumber in slices of about 0,5 cm / 0,2 inches.
- Put the slices between two layers of tissue paper.
They must overlap to form a sheet of paper!
- Put everything into the microwave and put several plates as weight onto your paper-to-be.
- Heat at a high temperature for about 1 minute.
(Note: Please be careful when using the microwave!)
- After 1 minute the tissue paper is wet, you have to change it. Also air the cucumber paper a little bit.
Repeat steps 2 – 5 until the tissue paper stays nearly dry.
Lay between new sheets of tissue paper and between several layers of old newspapers and put some weight on it.
About once a day you must replace the moist tissue paper and newspapers by dry ones.
After 2 – 3 days your cucumber paper is ready for use.
Cucumber seems to be one of the easiest vegetables to be used for paper. You can also use other vegetables, but I haven’t tried them and can’t say, how thick the slices must be and how long it takes.
The paper is real paper: You can write on it, you can cut it and so forth.